Thursday, January 28, 2010

Just Kind of Melancholy

February 2, 2010


there are moments through space and time
which are indelible
on my mind and
the sense of their arrival is as a shift of the universe
sideways
a slight jarring and then i know

it was yesterday
standing with friends
and a fresh pack of gum
and as i shared
i knew that i would never forget that moment
those people
and with
torrents of awe
sparking and
rebounding around me
i drew lines back

and when i was very young
i dreamed that i had a big brown cow
with a brass bell
and  a silver bucket
and i traveled the world
to give milk to all the hungry children
everywhere

and always
I remember the milky way
stars linked across the sky
misted over behind a civilized fear of the dark

and once i thought i was an alien child
as i would lay under the stars
looking for my people
to come back to me
clutching the dewy grass
arms stretched out
a sacrifice to the unknown

and then hitchhiking alone down a naked road
the straightest of roads
as far as the eye could see
the headlights like stars in the distance
i saw
a giant brown cow
standing alone
by the side of the road
and the mint
blowing in the breeze . . .
##






Enjoyed today February 2:
All afternoon with my students (the little ones) - and there was peace in the land -




  


Author's Remarks:  "Since I started composing and publishing music at the end of 2007, I had a little dream: A music fairytale, a story that evolves through music and has all these elements of an original fairytale: Fairies, knights, castles and -of course- a beautiful princess. Now, a couple of years later, this dream became true... Album starts with a remake of "Winter princess", one of my first published songs. Music trip continues, with a moon waltz and a fairy dance, to a forest with unicorns and a forgotten castle... After a battle with darkness knights, there is a king who returns home, giving his princess a message of love. At the end of this fairytale, there is an intro of Cinderella story. I preferred an intro instead of an ending, because, when a story ends, another one begins... I am thankful to JB-Anastasia for giving her voice to this Cinderella intro. However, "End of a story" is the end song of the fairytale, but not of the album. After a fairytale adventure, "Dreamland" is fine for relaxing... This is the second remake of an older song. I am also thankful to "The Copyright Group"  for allowing me to use at "Bless and glory" a part of Oscar Wilde's  "Vita nuova" poem, told so lyrical by actor Sean Barrett, recorded by Robert J. Nichol. You can also download full album as a single file at http://www.zero-project.gr"




I was walking up my dark road
facing an ebony sky with a trifle of a moon
peering bleakly through the silent clouds  . . .
as they drifted by . . . draping their glowing finery over his lonely face.
I trudged onward towards my lofty goal . . . up on the hill before me
When I happened to turn . . .
I saw the road behind me
turned silver from the gilded moon
and the iridescent sky
a cobalt  blue
with blushing traces of gentle dawn rising up to light my face. . .

##


 Music I Have Enjoyed This Past Weekend and Today (1 Feb):

Music from Magnatune.com: All albums recommended by my friend: 
Dr. J-P. Christopher Jackson, Ph.D.
I think he is trying to refine my musical tastes - thanks Christopher  - and there are more in my in-box!
                         


    Hidden Sky by Jami Sieber
                           


    Chameleon by Sulis

                           


    Night Light by Vidia Wesenlund


          

 Author's Remarks: "This is my 12th self-produced album. It is an orchestral suite based on the idea of a visitor in a museum who, while walking through the painting showing not so much interest, gets stuck in front of a painting on a corner of which, the face of a devil starts looking at him.
The visitor feels like he is being "sucked" into the painting and a very strange and uncomfortable voyage begins.."

My Review: First the album cover - just scares the hell out of me - but given the topic - it should. I also think that this album lends itself well to a short video since the story is well outlined and the music so clearly defines itself.

The music is monumental and epic and quite addicting. I felt compelled to travel along with the 'visitor' as he experienced Hell. The strings in particular lent an air of awe-inspiring fear and apprehension, and the lightest of sounds was capable of making me flinch during this short album's journey. The balance of light and heavy was so conflicting that it just pounded on my senses and emotions.

The "Dance of Fallen Angels" was so exhausting to listen to . . . it painted such vivid pictures behind my eyes with its forceful dominating sounds and contrasting delicate tones; along with the empty spaces, tempo changes, and strange voices. It was extreme to say the least. Finally, I experienced despair during "Funeral" that I would ever be able to retract myself from this place. I don't think . . .







  

Author's Remarks: ""Experimental Evolution" is a story about a world not unlike ours. It begins with "Genesis," a piece about the origins of life. Over the ages ("Millennium Wind"), technology arises and purity is lost. We see this corruption portrayed by "The Wretched Harlequin." The darkness spreads and the inhabitants of the world slip into a false "Euphoria." In the end, however, goodness prevails, and everything culminates in a celebration of "Gaia," goddess of the Earth."
My Review: I know this album tells a story about a world from its conception to its rescue. But I just couldn't follow the story as I was so immersed in the beauty of the music. Maybe another go around after the first listen. I am in awe of this artist's conceptual expressions and outstanding creativity. Each piece had its own unique personality, narration and stand-out appeal. Overall, this is a most extraordinarily beautiful album, which carries you on the dynamic winds of creation in all its manifestations.







  



One of my favorite songs: "Fly Away" from the album Ad Liberatum - by Creix.  This is one song that sticks in my head and walks with me during my long hikes. I like it - it is very comforting to me.  




 The Hodgepodge of My Day (or my life grows better day by day)

isn't she beautiful
              with the ladybugs
                            in her hair -
"dude - That math is so easy."
      . . .      and the rainbow on the floor
is not easily kicked into tomorrow

that tree outside bends closer
                                and closer . . .
to see

Aren't they beautiful
                       with that sparkling joy on their faces . . .
they peer into my eyes
giving me such . . . " what are you guys up to now?"
and they laugh with such peals of purity
what is it . . . that heart of the naughty child
which is so appealing in their . . . silliness

who are these creatures
that they can have such grace

And the tree outside bends closer still
           to hear
laughter in the day
The secret sound to laughter
spells the end to hate and pain
And as a child writes a love note
                        to her teacher
the Angels enter the room
##




There must be enchantment in the day
in the
everyday . . .
to shine like the angels . . .
But over time . . .
I lost all of my magical dreams;
that awe,
when I walked
this way . . . so far away
. . . for
I went further than I had ever wanted
over the bridge to the island of regrets

one day I turned around
and all the magic was gone
dissolved in the river of time
dissipated
beyond redemption
my hands scrabbling for a last grasp
wet and dripping with the bitter waters of sorrow . .

and over time . . .
I forgot that the magic ever was
although
sometimes
when I look into the eyes of a child
I see the reflections of my dreams.


##






  







  










No comments: