Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tell Me Something New . . .


Once, long ago,
I laid on my back
in the tall grasses,
completely invisible
to anyone looking for me . .
I watched the darkening sky
and the star-flies,
little groups of insects. . .
or fairies,
swooping through the dusk,
like stray embers flashing upward
from that great bonfire
in the setting sun . . .
I called them to me,
by name and they came,
without hesitation
entering the crystal goblet
I had ready . . .
where I treasured
this captive magic . . .
their thin wings beating
hopelessly
against the invisible glass . . .


the green leaves
of the willow tree
tasted the dust
at her roots and
I would watch the branches
sweep the banks
of a little brook
leaving cryptic forms and markings,
messages to the musical water . .

tell me something new . . . something
you have never told me before
a dream,
a story,
a wish . . .


I will tell you
about that endless day when
the willow tree passed away. . .
this one had an airy spirit
and a tender heart
though she would join us
in our frivolities . . .
her strength and stability
was like that of a goddess . . .
and her graceful lines
were expressed as beauty . . .
the birds found rest in her shiny tresses . . .
she was shelter
from long ago hot summers. . .
her limber branches
creating a green breeze
and lacy shadows . . .


 . . .this terrible windy day
she hurled herself to the dirt . . .
roots pointing to the skies . . .
her bones broken and disarrayed . . .
her trunk horizontal and still . .


all the other children were
in fear of the powerful storm . . .
yet I found a certain exhilarating glee
in the strength
of this invisible moving force. . .
I wanted to be out in the wind. . .
being lifted by strong arms
and tossed into the air . . .
my heart felt so light
and I knew that I could spread my wings
and fly forever . ..


but I was commissioned
to watch my siblings . ..
all crying in a row .  .  .
like naked, hungry little birds . . .
eyes wide in dread . . .
mouths round, black and bottomless . . .
piercing the air with loud wails . . .

sadly, I just laughed at them . . .
I lacked sympathy, then, . . .
there they were .  .  .
trapped in their misery . .
exposed in their frailties . . .
I never understood their fear . . .
except that the willow-tree fell . . .
and would not rise up again .  .


her long branches
tangled in a lumpy heap and
slowly beginning to wilt . . .
while the birds circled overhead
calling . . . calling . . .


************************************************************
A diversity of music genres . .. beautiful and captivating . . . I have been listening for days . . .
 



Weaving through space, sinuous and dreamy,
leading me through the back roads of my memories . ..
my dreams flying through the wind . .
and my hopes of peace and understanding . . .
bloom like a white rose in the darkness . . .
a pale fragrance,
by morning covered in fragile dew . . .
like pearls . . . reflecting the eye of the beholder ...



*******************************************************************************

No comments: